5 Reasons Levy County, Florida, Is Perfect for a Family Vacation
There are a number of reasons your family should consider Levy County, Florida, when looking ahead to summer vacations. Levy County is a destination filled with kid-friendly restaurants, annual fairs and events, animal encounters and outdoor adventures in the towns of Cedar Key, Williston, Inglis and more. Here are five things that make Levy County perfect for your next family vacation.
1. The Annual Levy County Fair - If you’re in Levy County with the kids in April, the annual Levy County Fair is a must. The four-day fair is packed with events for the whole family, like pageants, martial arts demonstrations, karaoke, live music, livestock shows and rides.
2. Options for Roughing It - Levy County has its share of hotels and B&Bs, and there are plenty of alternative accommodation options if you want a break from the ordinary. You can camp at Manatee Springs State Park, B’s Marina & Campground or Angler’s RV Campground, the latter of which also has RV hookups. Other options for RVs are Cedar Key Sunset Isle RV Park and Motel, Shell Mound RV Park, Gatorland RV Park and Breezy Acres Campground, which has a horseshoe court and other outdoor game areas. If you require more amenities, big groups can also rent a cabin at Fanning Springs State Park or Big Bass Village Campground.
3. Nature Adventures - Ever wanted to see elephants up close? Two Tails Ranch in Williston is unique to the area, where kids and adults can learn more about these gentle giants. Explore Levy County’s Shell Mound Campground that is situated right on the Gulf of Mexico just a few miles from Cedar Key, and don’t forget all of the county’s state parks, preserves and trails, such as Cedar Key Scrub, Nature Coast State Trail and Goethe State Forest.
4. Kirby Family Farms - With “family” in the name, Kirby Family Farms should make your family vacation agenda. The farm has Florida’s largest private railroad, and it schedules a number of train rides year-round for the whole family, with such themes as Wild West Weekend, Dora the Explorer, Easter, Civil War Reenactment and, one of its most popular events, the annual Christmas ride.
5. Kid-Friendly Eateries - Levy County is a great destination for seafood lovers, but it has plenty for picky kids as well. Island Pizzeria in Cedar Key provides delivery and takeout when you want time away from the crowds. Kona Joe’s Island Cafe in Cedar Key is dog-friendly, so all your family members are welcome. Finally, Tony’s in Cedar Key is famous for its clam chowder, so it’s a popular stop for visitors. The simple kids’ menu means that little ones will find what they want while adults can still sample some award-winning chowder and a variety of seafood dishes.